Attorney Eric Hageman spoke at the Minnesota Association for Justice 2015 wrongful death seminar this week. For the 4th year, Eric acted as chairman.
The Trucking Wrongful Death Case
Eric’s presentation taught lawyers some of the basics about litigating fatal truck accident claims on behalf of families.
Top 10 Takeaways
- Trucking cases are not the same as car crash cases.
- The trucking industry is heavily regulated.
- The goal in any trucking case is to show that the driver and the trucking company simply didn’t follow safety rules and, as a result, the client paid the price.
- The evidence needs to make a case against the trucking company, not just the driver.
- The attorney needs to send a spoliation letter requesting documents, including both documents required by FMCSRs (e.g., log books, driver qualification files) and others the lawyer needs to build a winning case.
- It’s important for an attorney to get to the crash scene as soon as possible.
- Driver fatigue is a big issue in trucking cases and is something a lawyer always need to consider.
- If there is evidence of reckless or willful action, which caused the death of the family member, punitive damages are in play.
- The attorney needs to determine whom to sue: the motor carrier/trucking company; the truck driver; the owner of the trailer; the freight broker; a repair and maintenance facility that worked on the truck; the manufacturer of the truck; the truck loader; and/or the shipper/logistics company.
- It is critically important where a lawsuit is filed.
About Eric Hageman
Since 2014 alone, Eric has won over $100 million for his clients. Eric has a national practice helping families throughout the United States with wrongful death claims involving an accident caused by a truck, bus, or other commercial motor vehicle. He has won recoveries against some of the largest trucking companies in the U.S. His offices are in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Truck Crash Information
- Truck Accident FAQ
- Wrongful Death Claim
- Lawsuit against a Trucking Company
- 18-Wheeler Accident Investigation
- Attorney Eric Hageman Helps Crash Victims and Their Families
- Semi Truck Accident Lawyer
- Are there separate laws for for a truck accident?
- Hit by a Truck in Minnesota?
- Rear Ended
- Truck Wheel Wrongful Death
- Drunk Truck Driver
- Dump Truck
- FedEx Accident
- Head-On Collision
- Hit from behind by a Big Truck
- Lawsuit against At-Fault Truck Driver
- Semi Truck vs. Motorcycle
- Insurance Claim
- Lawyer in Minnesota
- Truck Passenger Lawsuit
- Truck-Pedestrian Wrongful Death
- Trucking Accident Claim
- UPS Accident Lawsuit