If your loved one was killed in an accident caused by a commercial truck driver, your family can sue for wrongful death and hold accountable the driver, the trucking company and others.
Our accident attorneys have helped many families like yours. Attorneys Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman recently won $6 million for a family in a case where the vehicle that caused the accident experienced an equipment failure. Contact Fred and Eric to find out how they can help you and your family. You will not have to pay our law firm anything unless we win your case.
How Our Lawyers Can Help if Your Loved One was Killed by a Semi Truck
We hold trucking companies and drivers accountable by taking every measure to win as much money as possible for the family.
If you hire a truck accident lawyer at our law firm to represent you, we will immediately do our own investigation of the accident to gather evidence needed to win your case:
- Send a spoliation letter. This is a letter to the trucking company requesting that the company preserve evidence related to the collision.
- Inspect the tractor and trailer. Every case involving someone killed by a semitrailer requires an inspection of the vehicle, including both the tractor and trailer.
- Inspect other vehicles involved in the accident. Our lawyers also inspect any other vehicle involved in the accident. For example, if your loved one was driving a car when he or she was hit and killed by a big rig, our lawyers would inspect the wrecked car, taking pictures and analyzing the wreckage. Again, we hire engineers and others who are accident reconstruction experts to help us.
- Obtain documents from the trucking firm. We make the trucking company and anyone else responsible for the wrongful death hand over all relevant documents. We pour over them looking for evidence of regulation violations, including driving too many hours, inadequate drug testing, etc. We also look at corporate relationships to determine what companies can be sued.
- Interview witnesses. Our lawyers do interviews of witnesses, trucking company employees and others in the presence of a court reporter. The resulting transcript can be used as evidence at trial. This interview process is called a deposition.
- Hire accident reconstruction specialists. We hire forensic engineers and other experts in the field of accident reconstruction. Below is an animation we created for a case.
For many of our clients, the money is secondary. What they want is to know the truth and to hold all responsible parties accountable for the death of their loved one. Our law firm has the experience, skill and money to do that.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim?
When your loved one is killed by a commercial vehicle, you have wrongful death claims against all parties legally responsible for the accident. This can include the trucker, his or her employer, the owner of the cab and trailer, the owner of the freight, a maintenance company, a manufacturer of a defective vehicle part, a bar that served alcohol to a truck driver, and others.
These claims involve specific laws that outline the procedures a family must go through to file the claims and recover on them. In most states, a trustee (or the equivalent) is appointed by the court. This trustee acts on behalf of the family. Our lawyers work with the trustee and family members to win the case.
In most states, the laws allow the next of kin to recover on a wrongful death claim. “Next of kin” as defined in most states includes a spouse, parents, children, grandparents, siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts and uncles.
Honoring the Memory of the Loved One
There is no amount of money that can ever undo the tragedy of a fatal accident. Nonetheless, in these cases, we are trying to achieve some measure of justice and hold someone or some entity accountable for what happened.
What we often see in these cases is that the settlement or verdict we are able to obtain does some good in honoring the memory of the loved one who died. We recently saw this in a case involving a collision between a tractor-trailer and a snowmobile. We represented the family of a 16-year-old boy who was driving his snowmobile on a trail designated for that purpose when he crashed into the side of the trailer, which was illegally parked across the snowmobile trail. The young man was tragically killed due to the negligence of the tractor-trailer driver.
After we achieved the settlement, the family set up a foundation that awarded scholarships in the name of their son who died. The scholarship fund awarded scholarships to high school age children who were pursuing a course of study their son would have pursued. In that way, the family was able to see that good came out of something that was so tragic.
You can click here now to contact our lawyers for your free consultation. Our attorneys have been interviewed by The Associated Press, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Lawyers USA and others.
For more information, please see the following: