Lawsuit for Child Injured in an Accident Caused by the Child’s Parent

The following article discusses how children injured in an accident can obtain compensation from insurance companies for medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other damages.

Lawyer Eric Hageman
Contact attorney Eric Hageman at 1-888-377-8900 (toll-free).

My name is Eric Hageman, and I am a personal injury lawyer. Over the years, I have filed many lawsuits on behalf of children injured in traffic accidents. These are always gut-wrenching cases.  Most of the time, these accidents have involved another at-fault driver (e.g., a drunk driver hitting a car that has a child as a passenger).  Sometimes, however, our cases have involved a parent of the injured child as an at-fault driver. In these cases, the child is entitled to bring a claim – or lawsuit – for pain and suffering and other damages, but the child has to, in effect, sue their own parent. Our civil justice system is designed to hold accountable those who have caused harm to another, even if the harm was caused by a parent (or a spouse or a sibling or any type of relative). What families should understand, though, is that in cases like these, the claim is really against the insurance company.  The goal is to obtain the necessary compensation from the insurance company for medical expenses, cost of care, pain and suffering and other damages caused by the accident.

Lawsuits against a parent can be extremely emotional, and if you are in a situation like this, I am available for a free, confidential consultation.  I completely understand the anguish parents feel in situations like this. I also know that, if at all possible, these feelings of guilt and anger need to be put aside for the good of the child.

Injured Child
Getty Images | Credit: Franky DeMeyer | Collection: E+

Attorney Eric Hageman travels throughout the United States representing accident victims and their families. Eric has been given the highest rating by Martindale-Hubbell for an attorney, AV Preeminent. An AV® certification mark is a significant rating accomplishment – a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.  If you would like a free consultation, please call attorney Eric Hageman at 1-888-377-8900 (toll free) or submit our free consultation form. Eric was recently named an “Attorney of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer.

Other articles by Eric:

Share this article:

Category: Accidents
Ready to talk?

We're here to listen. Tell us what happened to you.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply