2018-01-10T11:32:44+00:00Pritzker Hageman, P.A.
45 S 7th St, #2950
Minneapolis, MN, 55402

Your question involves venue, a legal term for the court where a lawsuit can be filed. Venue is an important issue because states have different laws that may be applicable and, moreover, the juries in some jurisdictions do not award accident victims enough money to fairly compensate them. If you live in one state and have an accident with an 18-wheeler commercial truck in another state, you may have the right to sue the truck driver and a trucking company. Where you file that lawsuit should be decided by a lawyer because the amount you obtain in a settlement or trial verdict is affected by that decision.

Truck Accident Lawsuit FAQ

Auto Accident Lawyer
Attorney Eric Hageman inspects a car that has been involved in a crash. Contact Eric for a free consultation at 1-888-377-8900 (toll free).

Generally, any of the following can be the venue of a lawsuit against an at fault truck driver, trucking company and other legally responsible parties:

  • The state where the accident occurred;
  • Where the accident victim resides;
  • If the accident victim was a passenger, where the driver of that vehicle resides;
  • Where the at-fault semi truck driver resides;
  • The state in which the trucking company is located.

In addition to determining the best place to sue, your truck accident lawyer will need to decide if the lawsuit should be filed in state or federal court.

If you hire me to represent you, I will thoroughly analyze your 18-wheeler accident case to determine the best state in which to file your lawsuit.

18-Wheeler Accident

18-Wheeler Accidents

Answer byAttorney Eric Hageman