An injured person with a personal injury claim is entitled to monetary compensation for what is known as pain and suffering, which includes past or future damages for bodily and mental harm, including the following:
- physical pain
- emotional distress
- loss of quality of life
How Much Money Can I Get for Pain and Suffering?
Before our lawyers can determine how much money a pain and suffering claim is worth, they need to interview the injured person and his or her family, gather a significant amount of evidence, and calculate how much compensation would cover future pain and suffering. Some of the factors they look at include the following (this is only a few):
- The type, extent, and severity of the injuries;
- The pain involved in the treatment;
- The length of time the injury or harm lasted, and whether it is permanent;
- the person’s job before the injury and whether it is possible to continue doing it;
- Whether there was gross negligence to support a punitive damages claim (claim seeking enough money to punish the wrongdoer);
- The state where the lawsuit is filed (some have a cap on compensation);
- Whether there are others to sue in addition to the at-fault driver, for example, a bus or trucking company.
Our lawyers have won many multi-million-dollar settlements for our clients, including the three below:
- $10 million for a man who suffered third-degree burns on over half of his body (Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman were the lead lawyers for this case, and it was their independent investigation that uncovered the evidence needed to get this settlement);
- $6 million for a woman who was hit by a drunk driver and lost a leg (a bar was also sued, so this is a combination of amounts obtained from the driver’s and bar’s insurance companies);
- $5 million for a man who was hit by a delivery truck and lost an arm (as with most of these cases, the trucking company denied fault);
Insurance Claim Settlement
When we try to settle your case out of court, we ask the insurance company to consider the circumstances of your case. This includes the amount of pain and suffering that you have had to endure in the past and that you will have to endure in the future. The insurance company will assess the value of that claim based on what they believe a jury would award for that category.
Our attorneys have won settlements against all of the major insurance companies in Minnesota, including Geico, Progressive, Allstate Insurance Company, Liberty Mutual, State Farm Insurance, and Farmers Insurance. They also bring cases to trial when necessary and have won millions for clients in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits, including many multimillion-dollar recoveries.
For more information, please see the following:
- Can I Sue a Drunk Driver?
- Loss of Limb from Auto or Motorcycle Accident
- Brain Damage Lawsuit | TBI
- Skull Fracture Lawsuit and Settlement
- Broken Neck Lawsuit | C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 Fracture
- Spinal Cord Injury | Paralyzed in a Crash
- Personal Injury of Child
- Burn Lawyer
- Bus Accident Attorneys
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Lawsuit against Truck Company
- Bike Accident Attorneys