If your loved one was killed in a house fire in the Twin Cities, our Minneapolis lawyers can help your family determine what caused the firm and who is responsible. Attorneys Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman have experience winning money for clients after fires and explosions. Some of their cases have involved defective products. Contact Fred and Eric for a free consultation.
House Fire Death Caused by Smoke Inhalation
A fatal house fire in the Twin Cities took the life of Nancy Swanson on Monday morning. The Ramsey County Sheriff’s office reported that the oven was on when firefighters arrived, and a hole was burned through the living room floor. The furnace may also have been malfunctioning.
This was a slow, smoldering fire, and the cause of death was most likely smoke inhalation, which can cause fatal burns and brain damage from oxygen deprivation. Fire fighters from four area fire departments worked to put out the smoldering fire: Lake Johanna, Roseville, New Brighton and Vadnais Heights. The cause of the fire is not yet known.
You can contact our attorneys for a free consultation here regarding a lawsuit against a landlord or manufacturer.
The Shoreview fire is one of six over the holidays.
- On Christmas Eve, a Minneapolis house fire injured two people. Both were hospitalized.
- On Christmas, a Plymouth condo was damaged in a fire.
- On December 26, a Plymouth apartment fire caused property damage to three apartments.
- On December 28, an unattended candle destroyed eight condos in Minneapolis.
- On December 31, a fire in South Minneapolis resulted in burn injuries.
In some fires a landlord, manufacturer or another business is legally responsible for injuries (burns and others) and wrongful death arising from the fire. This means that fire victims and their families can sue for compensation. Our lawyers can help you find out who to sue and how much your case is worth. You can contact our attorneys here.
Minneapolis Fire Department Safety Tips
Below are some safety tips from the Minneapolis Fire Department.
- If you’re drinking, let someone else be in charge of the oven.
- Never leave cooking unattended on the stove.
- Turn pot and pan handles so they don’t hang over the edge of the stove. That way, they’re less likely to be knocked off the stove accidentally.
- There are more candle fires on New Year’s Day than any other day of the year.
- Avoid using candles at parties, but if you do use them, put them in an open area and do not leave them unattended.
- 40 percent of candle fires start when something that can catch fire is too close to the candle flame. Keep candles away from decorations or other combustible materials.
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a room with a burning candle.
- 30 percent of candle fires start in the bedroom. Make sure candles are extinguished before you leave the house or go to sleep.
- Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of fire fatalities in Minnesota, and smoking coupled with alcohol can be deadly. After a party, check in the cushions and under upholstered furniture, and check wastebaskets for cigarette butts that may still be smoldering.
For more information, please see the following: