Fire, flames
Le Mars, IA Man Severely Burned in Duplex Fire

A man has been hospitalized with severe burns from a fire in a duplex in Le Mars, IA on Saturday. The fire, at 620 Greenwood Ave., was reported at 10 a.m. on Saturday. When firefighters arrived, the man, who suffered…

Firefighter at House
One Woman Injured in Canton Baltimore House Fire

One woman was injured in a house fire in the Canton neighborhood of Baltimore in a fire that began late Thursday night. The fire in the rowhome, located in the 1200 block of S. Clinton St., was reported at about…

NFPA’s Fire Prevention Week Reminder: Replace Smoke Detectors Every 10 Years

Most people know they need to regularly replace the batteries in their smoke detectors, but not as many people know that the alarms themselves should be replaced every 10 years, the typical lifespan of a smoke alarm. That’s why the…

Fire engine rushing to the scene of a fire
5 Injured in Fire at High-Rise with No Sprinklers in LA’ s Westlake District

Five people were injured in a fire at a residential high-rise in the Westlake district of Los Angeles on Monday. The 15-story building, located at 455 S. Union Ave., offers housing for seniors, the disabled, and those who qualify for…

Samsung Halts Sales of Galaxy Note 7, Warns Customers to Stop Using Them

Samsung Electronics Co. is halting sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 after fires and explosions from overheating batteries persist in the revamped version of the phone produced as the replacement for those recalled in September for fires and explosions.…

Fire engine rushing to the scene of a fire
Report: Smoking, Cooking are Leading Causes of Hotel, Motel Fires, Injuries Deaths

Cooking and smoking are the leading causes of hotel and motel fires and their resulting  injuries and deaths, according to a study by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The study examined structure fires in hotels and motels from 2009 to…

Fire, flames
Duplex Explosion Kills 4, Injures 5 on Pine Ridge Reservation, SD

Four people died and five others were injured when a duplex on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota exploded on Thursday. The tenants smelled propane gas and were searching for a leak just before the explosion wich occurred at…

Vape Smoke
Report: Severe Burns, Injuries from E-cigarettes Vastly Under-reported

Severe burns and injuries from e-cigarettes are vastly under-reported, according to a new report by doctors at the North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill, NC. The editorial, Burns from e-cigarettes and other electronic nicotine delivery…

Report: Replacement Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explodes During Boarding of Southwest Airlines Flight

A Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phone, issued as a replacement for the recalled version of the device, exploded this morning during boarding of Southwest Airlines Flight 994 in Louisville, according to a local media report.  No injuries were reported, but…

Passenger’s E-cigarette Explodes on Harry Potter Ride, Injures Girl

A 14-year-old girl riding the Hogwarts Express at Universal Studios theme park in Orlando suffered burns to her face, arm and leg when another passenger’s e-cigarette exploded. Witnesses said a “fireball” shot from the device, injuring the girl, who was…

Air ambulance helicopeter
Propane Heater Explosion Leaves Clinton, UT Family of 5 With Serious Burns

A camping trip for a family of five from Clinton, UT took a tragic turn Sunday when a propane heater exploded injuring all of them. The family members, who range in age from 7 to 40, all received first- to third-degree burns…

Fire engine rushing to the scene of a fire
Woman Suffers Burns, Smoke Inhalation from Cocca’s Travelodge Fire in Latham, NY

A fire at Cocca’s Travelodge Inn & Suites on Loudon Road in Latham, NY has left one woman hospitalized. She was transported to Albany Medical Center for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation. The fire, which was reported just after…