Couple Dies, Son Seriously Injured in Sarasota, FL House Fire


A 68-year-old couple died and their son was severely injured in a house fire in Sarasota, FL on Wednesday. Mike Cook, a neighbor who lives across the street, reported the fire at 2:56 p.m. after he saw flames coming from the roof of his neighbor’s home on the 3800 block of Sugar Lane, according to Fox 13.

Hours earlier, Cook heard what he described as an explosion and noticed an issue with his power. His wife stepped outside and saw the power lines across the street sparking. Cook told Fox 13 that earlier that day, he saw a fire truck and a crew from Florida Power and Light trimming trees behind his neighbor’s home.

Neighbor Chris Beyer, 19, told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune that he called the fire department around 10:30 a.m. to report power lines on the trees. Florida Power and Light came to trim the trees, he said, But, he told the paper, “Not even 10 minutes after they left, and I don’t remember what time that was, I started smelling smoke.”

Homeowners Cynthia and Ben Langford died in the fire. Firefighters broke down an exterior wall to rescue their son,  who was taken to a local hospital with severe injuries. His name was not released.


Share this article:

Category: Explosion, Fire and Burn Injuries
Ready to talk?

We're here to listen. Tell us what happened to you.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Articles