Woman Suffers Severe Burns from House Explosion in Beverly, KS


A 57-year-old woman from rural Beverly, KS was hospitalized Wednesday after she suffered severe burns in a house explosion.  Authorities suspect there may have been a natural gas leak at the single-story home located at 647 N. 290th.

The explosion, which blew debris 100 yards in all directions, could be heard 20 miles away, the sheriff told local media. The only thing left standing was a flag pole.

A neighbor said he went to the house after he heard the explosion and found Connie Whelan standing outside waving her arms for help. She was airlifted to the Via Christi Regional Burn Center in Wichita. Late Wednesday, she was listed in critical condition.

Emergency services received a call about the incident at 7:36 a.m. Wednesday. When they arrived on scene minutes later, it was clear there had been an explosion and everything was on fire, the sheriff said.






Share this article:

Category: Explosion, Fire and Burn Injuries
Ready to talk?

We're here to listen. Tell us what happened to you.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Articles