What lawyer do I hire after my spouse is killed while riding a motorcycle?
Most people don’t know how to find the right lawyer for their case. Below are 5 questions you should ask a wrongful death lawyer before you hire him or her to represent your family after your spouse is killed while riding a motorcycle:
- Have you successfully handled a case like mine? This is pretty general really, and definitions of “successful” can vary, but you will learn something from the answer, the tone of voice, the examples (if any) provided.
- Have you won multimillion-dollar settlements?
- What is a spoliation letter? This is a special letter that absolutely has to be sent to a trucking company to preserve evidence. If it is not sent, the company may be able to legally destroy evidence. If the lawyer does not know about this, that person may not have the experience you are seeking.
- What is a wrongful death claim, and do I have one? A good lawyer will tell you if he or she needs to gather more evidence to determine if you have a claim.
- Why do you practice personal injury law?
Contact more than one lawyer and ask these questions and more. All personal injury lawyers, including those at our law firm, provide free consultations. If it is decided you have a wrongful death claim you can sue for damages. These damages may include compensation for outstanding medical bills, loss of income, pain and suffering, and/or loss of companionship. Fred Pritzker, Eric Hageman, and David Coyle are our lead lawyers for these cases.
Our lawyers build winning cases by gathering and analyzing evidence:
- interviews with witnesses, the family of the person who died, the at-fault driver, and if applicable, the bus or truck company;
- visiting the scene of the accident to find evidence of fault and to look for evidence of gross negligence;
- Thoroughly inspecting the vehicles involved to look for evidence of fault and for defective parts that could have caused or contributed to the accident; and
- obtaining and analyzing company documents if a big truck was involved in the crash.
In many, many of our cases, our independent investigation of the crash revealed facts of the case that contributed to the overall claim.
How involved do I have to be with a lawsuit?
There are varying degrees of involvement depending on your personal comfort level. Our lawyers will work with you to assure you are comfortable and feel supported throughout the entire process. Some clients want to be very engaged with the proceedings. Others prefer the attorneys to handle the day-to-day. Your attorney will be able to explain what is needed from you and what to expect at each stage of the proceedings.
What is the next step after a fatal motorcycle crash?
Contact our law firm and ask for a free consultation with one of our lawyers. They are going to be able to assess if you have a case, and give guidance about the next steps. Our law firm is headquartered in Minnesota but has handled cases all across the U.S.
A 64-year-old man from Vadnais Heights, MN lost his life on Sunday when his Harley Davidson was rear-ended by an SUV in Wisconsin. The incident occurred at about 4 pm on highway U.S. 10 in Trimbelle Township. Motorcyclist Michael Edward Joyce had stopped to make a turn when he was struck from behind by a middle-aged woman driving a 2015 Honda CRV. Joyce was ejected from his vehicle and passed away at the scene. Investigators are looking into the crash to determine if controlled substances or distracted driving were contributing factors.