A Truck Hit My Husband, Who is Now Paralyzed. Who Can I Sue?

Question: My husband was crossing the street in the crosswalk when he was run over by a semi truck. The police report states that the truck driver was on his phone as he approached the intersection. Some witnesses thought he was speeding. In addition to his other injuries, my husband has a broken neck and is paralyzed from the chest down. He can’t walk or use his hands. My husband was a hedge fund manager and the breadwinner of our family.  I can’t begin to tell you how this has changed our lives, but we are all determined to keep moving forward. I assume we can sue the truck driver, but can we sue the company that owned the truck?

Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman
Attorneys Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman can be contacted for a free consultation.

Answer: Yes, in most cases you can sue the company that owned the commercial truck that hit your husband. You may also have a claim against the owner of the freight being hauled in the semi trailer. Determining who is legally responsible in cases like yours can require us to dig through corporate documents looking for evidence of corporate liability. To get access to this information, we would need to first file a lawsuit.

Future Medical Expenses and Cost of Care

Your husband will need care for the rest of his life, and any settlement with the truck driver and trucking company should reflect that. If you hire our law firm to help you, we will consult with our medical experts to determine what amount we should seek to fully compensate your family for the expected future expenses.

Pain and Suffering

You should also seek compensation for the pain and suffering your husband has endured and will continue to endure. For more information, read “Documenting Your Pain and Suffering Claim” written by attorney Eric Hageman.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

A Wife Can Have a Claim for Loss of Consortium

When a husband is severely injured, the wife may have the right to sue the person and/or business responsible for “loss of consortium,” which is the loss of her full marital relationship.  Generally one lawsuit is filed with both the husband and wife named as “plaintiffs” (the people suing).

Our lawyers have handled many cases where a spouse was paralyzed or suffered severe brain damage. In all of these cases, we have worked to make sure both spouses are fully compensated for what was lost due to greed, negligence or indifference.

Attorney Inspecting Car after Wreck
Attorney Eric Hageman inspecting a car that has been in a wreck.

Broken Neck | Cervical Spine Fracture

A broken neck is a fracture of one or more of the cervical vertebrae, referred to as C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7. When one of these vertebrae are fractured, the spinal cord can be permanently damaged.  This can result in a “complete spinal cord injury,” one that results in  the complete loss of motor and sensory function below the location of the injury.

If your loved one has suffered a broken neck in a crash, contact attorneys Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman at 1-888-377-8900.

Share this article:

Category: Accidents
Ready to talk?

We're here to listen. Tell us what happened to you.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply