Our national food poisoning attorneys have experience winning money settlements for people sickened in outbreaks caused by contaminated food. John and Pat, shown below, are two of our clients. John almost died after eating contaminated food. Read how our lawyers helped John and Pat.
Our food poisoning lawyers have stood by the beds of many clients as they fought for their lives, some little children. These cases are tragic and preventable. Yes, good sanitation could prevent most cases of severe food poisoning. In obtaining compensation for our clients, we hold corporate wrongdoers accountable and help prevent future outbreaks of illness. Read a message from our late founder Fred Pritzker about food safety lawsuits.
Food Poisoning Lawyers Win Money Settlements for Clients
Our legal team, led by attorney Eric Hageman, have represented people sickened in almost every major foodborne outbreak in the United States for the last 20 years. They have won settlements from big retailers, national chain restaurants, and multinational food companies. Because of our involvement in these outbreaks, our attorneys have appeared on CBS News, Fox News, and other TV news stations to talk about food safety and specific outbreaks of illness. They have been quoted by The New York Times, Associated Press, Lawyers USA, Law & Politics, and other publications.
Below are some of the money settlements and verdicts our Bad Bug Law Team has won for our clients:
- $7.5 million for a young child;
- $4.5 million for a young woman who contracted an E. coli infection after eating at a national chain restaurant and then developed hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS);
- $4.5 million for a man who ate contaminated food and contracted Listeria meningitis, a brain infection;
- Over $3 million for a pregnant woman who lost her unborn twins after contracting a foodborne illness;
- $2.7 million for the family of an 81-year-old man who died after contracting a foodborne illness;
- $1.7 million on behalf of a 57-year-old man who developed listeriosis after eating deli meat tainted with Listeria bacteria;
- A record recovery for a Minnesota Shigella victim;
- Over $1 million for a client who became ill from ground beef contaminated with E. coli;
- Over $1 million for a woman who ate meat contaminated with E. coli O157;
- Over $1 million for a client who became ill after eating deli meat contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Our attorneys are nationally recognized as a food safety advocates and litigators. They have spoken at Harvard Law School, Cornell University, Northwestern University, and many other venues. Attorneys at Pritzker Hageman participated in an American Bar Association roundtable event entitled, “Food Safety from Farm to Fork: Litigation Perspectives,” hosted by the ABA Litigation, Food and Supplements Subcommittee.
Our lawyers have won millions for people sickened by tainted food, including $4.5 million on behalf of a teenager who contracted E. coli food poisoning from restaurant food and $4.5 million on behalf of a man who suffered brain damage from a product purchased at a grocery store.
We have won personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits involving products contaminated with the following pathogens:
Our cases involve more than vomiting. Our clients have suffered permanent brain damage from stroke and meningitis, paralysis, kidney failure, pancreatitis, respiratory failure, and other life-threatening medical conditions. We also represented the families of people who did not survive.
How a Food Poisoning Lawyer Proves a Food Poisoning Claim
Proving a food poisoning claim requires the evidence of the following:
- Fault – that the food seller or processor did something wrong with regard to food processing, preparation, storage, or handling;
- Causation – the fault of the seller or processor caused the food to become contaminated and that the contaminated food actually caused the illness; and
- Damages – the harms and losses suffered by the victim as a result of consuming the contaminated food.
Food poisoning lawsuits are complex and science-based. Because our lawyers have handled so many food poisoning cases, they have access to microbiologists and epidemiologists that may be needed as expert witnesses, and they have the legal and scientific knowledge necessary to understand and effectively utilize scientific evidence.
Read about our law firm scholarship.