Updated April 19 with outbreak information. Revolution Farms of Caledonia, Michigan, issued a recall for lettuce and salad kits that have been linked to a multi-state Listeria outbreak. The recall was initiated after the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) received a positive test result for Listeria monocytogenes in a five-ounce package of Revolution Farms Green Sweet Crisp with a best-by date of April 2, 2023.
Did you get Listeria food poisoning from Revolution Farms lettuce?
Revolution Farms Expands Listeria Recall for Lettuce and Salad Kits
The original Listeria recall for Revolution Farms lettuce was posted by the FDA on Wednesday, April 5, 2023. The next day, on Thursday, April 6, 2023, the FDA announced an expanded Listeria recall that includes all products sold under the Revolution Farms brand. The expanded recall notice says, “The recalled product was epidemiologically linked with a multi-state outbreak of listeriosis.”
Link to a 2022 Listeria Outbreak
What the expanded recall notice doesn’t-make clear is that the outbreak occurred last year. On April 17, 2023, Food Poisoning Bulletin reported that salad products are not connected with any outbreak currently under investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), rather the Listeria strain that Michigan health officials found in the salad sample is genetically related to a 2022 Listeria outbreak with an unknown source. An agency spokesperson told the publication that “there are no known illnesses or adverse events related to these recalled products reported to FDA to date.”
In 2022, the FDA investigated two Listeria outbreaks with unknown food sources. On February 9, 2022, the agency opened an investigation of an outbreak that had sickened 20 people. It conducted a traceback investigation, onsite inspection, and sample collection and analysis but these actions did not yield enough information to solve the outbreak. The other investigation was opened on June 15, 2022, and closed without being solved after the FDA initiated a traceback investigation. That outbreak sickened 12 people.
Where Were the Recalled Salads Sold?
The recalled lettuce products were sold to the following retailers and food service distributors in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.
- SpartanNash stores
- Meijer stores
- Bridge St. Market
- Kingma’s Market
- Fresh Thyme Market Grand Rapids
- Fresh Thyme Market Kalamazoo
- Horrocks Market Grand Rapids
- Cherry Capital Foods
- Gordon Food Service
- Van Eerden Foodservice
- Vine Line Produce
- Luna restaurant
- Russ’ Commissary
- Pearson Foods Corporation
Recalled Revolution Farms Lettuce Sold at Retail Stores
- Revolution Farms Buttery Bibb – Whole Head Clamshell, UPC 856791008158
- Revolution Farms Mini Romaine – Whole Head Clamshell, UPC 856791008257
- Revolution Farms Green Sweet Crisp – Whole Head Clamshell, UPC 856791008073
- Revolution Farms Grower’s Choice – Whole Head Clamshell, UPC 856791008325
- Revolution Farms Michigan Spring Mix – 5oz Retail, Plastic Tray, lidding film, UPC 856791008004
- Revolution Farms Great Lakes Gourmet – 5oz Retail, Plastic Tray, lidding film, UPC 856791008028
- Revolution Farms Robust Romaine – 5oz Retail, Plastic Tray, lidding film, UPC 856791008035
- Revolution Farms Romaine Lettuce Boats – 5oz Retail, Plastic Tray, lidding film, UPC 856791008196
- Revolution Farms Sweet Crisp Deli Leaf – 5oz Retail, Plastic Tray, lidding film, UPC 856791008189
- Revolution Farms Whole Leaf Romaine – 5oz Retail, Plastic Tray, lidding film, UPC 856791008202
- Revolution Farms Traverse City Cherry – 6oz Salad Kit, Plastic Tray, label, UPC 856791008226
- Revolution Farms Zesty Southwest – 6oz Salad Kit, Plastic Tray, label, UPC 856791008240
- Revolution Farms Sesame Ginger Crunch – 6oz Salad Kit, Plastic Tray, label, UPC 856791008233
- Revolution Farms Crisp Kale Caesar – 6oz Salad Kit, Plastic Tray, label, UPC 856791008295
Recalled Revolution Farms Lettuce Sold to Food Service Distributors
- Revolution Farms Farmer’s Mix – 3lb Bulk, Clear Poly Bag
- Revolution Farms Great Lakes Gourmet – 3lb Bulk, Clear Poly Bag
- Revolution Farms Green Sweet Crisp – 3lb Bulk, Clear Poly Bag
- Revolution Farms Michigan Spring Mix – 3lb Bulk, Clear Poly Bag
- Revolution Farms Robust Romaine – 3lb Bulk, Clear Poly Bag
- Revolution Farms Red/Green Romaine – 3lb Bulk, Clear Poly Bag
- Revolution Farms Green Forest Romaine – 14 Whole Heads, Clear Poly Liner
- Revolution Farms Green Sweet Crisp – 14 Whole Heads, Clear Poly Liner
- Revolution Farms Mini Romaine – 36 Whole Heads, Clear Poly Liner
- Revolution Farms Buttery Bibb – 36 Whole Heads, Clear Poly Liner
Secondary Listeria Recalls for Revolution Farms Salad
The Listeria outbreak linked to Revolution Farms lettuce has triggered several secondary recalls and a public health alert for salad brands including Meijer, Fresh Express, Publix, Fruit Ridge Farms, and BELL’S BISTRO.
Listeria Recall For Fresh With Meijer Premade Salads
Meijer announced a Listeria recall for Fresh From Meijer Premade Salads made with Revolution Farms lettuce and sold at Meijer stores in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, and Wisconsin. According to the recall notice, “Meijer is not aware of any illnesses from Meijer brand salad products included in this recall.” The recall includes the following premade salad products:
- Fresh From Meijer Cranberry Spinach Shareable Salad (12 oz.), UPC 7-08820-30432-1, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Salad Bowl Spinach Dijon Salad (6.15 oz.), UPC 7-13733-07493-3, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Tomato Caprese Salad (6 oz.), UPC 7-13733-24610-1, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Avocado Chicken Bacon Ranch Salad (8 oz.), UPC 7-13733-24611-8, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Mediterranean Salad (6.5 oz.), UPC 7-13733-24613-2, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Shareable Garden Salad (11.5 oz.), UPC -13733-29537-6, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Michigan Harvest Salad (6.7 oz.), UPC 7-19283-67929-1, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Chicken BLT Salad (8.2 oz.), UPC 7-19283-67930-7, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Cobb Salad (8.8 oz.), UPC 7-19283-67932-1, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Chicken Caesar Shareable Salad (10 oz.), UPC 7-19283-67933-8, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Chicken Caesar Salad (6.4 oz.), UPC 7-60236-11745-2, All Sell-By Dates
- Fresh From Meijer Southwest Chicken Salad (8.8 oz.), UPC 7-60236-48832-3, All Sell-By Dates
Health Alert For Listeria Tainted Fresh Salads with Chicken and Ham
On Friday, April 7, the USDA issued a Listeria health alert for ready-to-eat fresh salads with chicken and ham that contain recalled Revolution Farms lettuce. The fresh salads with chicken and ham were produced from March 10, 2023, to March 24, 2023, and shipped to retailers in Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, and Wisconsin. All of the following products included in the health advisory have the establishment number “EST. 17050” or “P-17050” inside the USDA mark of inspection:
- Fruit Ridge Farms White Chicken Caesar Salad, 5.5-oz. Clear Plastic Package, Sell-By Dates 03/10/23 through 04/14/23
- Fruit Ridge Farms Chef Salad with Ham, 4.6-oz. Clear Plastic Package, Sell-By Dates 03/10/23 through 04/14/23
- BELL’S BISTRO White Chicken Caesar Salad, 5.5-oz. Clear Plastic Package, Sell-By Dates 03/10/23 through 04/14/23
- BELL’S BISTRO Chef Salad with Ham, 4.6-oz. Clear Plastic Package, Sell-By Dates 3/10/12 through 4/14/23
Fresh Express Issues Salad Recall for Possible Listeria Contamination
Fresh Express issued a “precautionary” Listeria recall for expired salads produced at the company’s facility in Morrow, Georgia. The Fresh Express recall was initiated when the Georgia Department of Agriculture detected Listeria in a sample test of a single salad kit with a use-by date of March 31, 2023. The recalled salads were sold at retailers in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. The following recalled salads can be identified by looking for product code G075 and use-by dates of March 31, 2023, or April 2, 2023, on the front of the package:
- Fresh Express Caesar Chopped Kit, 9.40oz., UPC 0071279309194, Product Code G075, Use-By Date 4/2/2023, Distributed in FL, GA, NC, SC
- Fresh Express Chopped Kit Chipotle Cheddar, 11.3oz, UPC 00071279306049, Product Code G075, Use-By Date 4/2/2023, Distributed in FL, GA, NC, SC, VA
- Publix Makoto Honey Ginger Salad Kit, 8.75oz, UPC 00071279309194, Product Code G075, Use-By Date 3/31/2023, Distributed in FL, GA, NC
There has been no indication yet that the Fresh Express recall is part of the outbreak investigation but it is possible the lettuce came from the same farm. The Pritzker Hageman Food Safety Legal Team is monitoring the situation.
Listeria Recall Lawsuit Information
What Should I Do If I Think I Got Listeria From Tainted Lettuce?
- Seek medical attention. Ask your provider to order a laboratory test for Listeria.
- Contact your local health department to find out if your illness is part of a Listeria outbreak.
- Contact an experienced Listeria food poisoning attorney.
If you or someone you love got sick after eating recalled Revolution Farms lettuce, you may have the right to sue for justice and compensation. Pregnant women, seniors over the age of 65, and people with weakened immune systems are at the highest risk for Listeria. Symptoms of a Listeria infection can take up to 70 days to appear and may include any of the following:
- Muscle aches
- Stiff neck
- Loss of balance
Contact an Experienced Listeria Attorney
The Listeria attorneys at Pritzker Hageman law firm have represented clients in every major Listeria outbreak in the U.S. Our legal team has won hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients, including some of the largest recoveries in history. If you would like a free consultation with a Listeria attorney, please call 1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or fill out the form below.