Investigators have determined that a gas leak was the source of a January house explosion in Washington, IA that killed George Carpenter, 68, and injured a 12-year-old boy. They were the only people inside when the blast occurred in the early morning hours of January 4 and fire engulfed the home located at 1114 E. Washington St.
Pritzker Hageman Explosion Lawyers
Phone: 888-377-8900 | Text: 612-261-0856
A team of investigators from the offices of the State Fire Marshal, the Johnson County Medical Examiner, and the Washington fire and police departments determined that a gas leak of an as yet unknown origin filled the space with vapors that ignited when Carpenter lit a cigarette.
Carpenter and the boy both sustained serious injuries from the explosion and fire and were transported to Washington County Hospital and then transferred to the University of Iowa Hospital, where Carpenter died of his injuries three days later.
The explosion completely destroyed the home and damaged several others. The damage to one of the adjacent houses was so extensive it had to be demolished.
The explosion attorneys at the national law firm Pritzker Hageman represent people who have been injured in explosions and families who have suffered the wrongful death of a loved one. For a free consultation with our experienced Explosion Team, please call 1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or complete the form below.