Attorneys from the noted food safety law firm Pritzker Hageman have filed a lawsuit against Fareway Stores, Inc. on behalf of a man who was diagnosed with Salmonella food poisoning after eating chicken salad purchased from the store in Ankeny, Iowa. The Fareway lawsuit was filed on February 16, 2018, in Iowa District Court, Polk County (case number LACL140414). The firm is representing several people who were sickened in this outbreak.
As with the first lawsuit, this one alleges our client ate Fareway chicken salad that was contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. This client purchased the chicken salad at the Ankeny store, located at 3205 North Ankeny Boulevard, Iowa, on February 2, 2018. Our client purchased the chicken salad from the West Des Moines Fareway.
The chicken was properly stored before he ate it on February 3 and 4th. A few days later, our client became ill. By February 9, he was so sick that he was hospitalized in Des Moines. During his hospitalization, testing determined that he had Salmonella poisoning, also referred to as salmonellosis. The Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) was notified of the diagnosis. After investigating his and other cases, IDPH determined that our client is one of many people sickened in a multistate outbreak. There are 28 confirmed cases in Iowa, one in Minnesota and one in Nebraska. There were also two lawsuits filed in South Dakota and Illinois.
The IDPH and the federal Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS) have warned consumers about the Fareway chicken salad, which was sold in plastic deli containers with a Fareway store deli label. These products were prepared between December 15, 2017, and February 13, 2018.
To contact a member of our Salmonella Team. Complete the form below. Or call us toll-free at 1 (888) 377-8900.