A carbon monoxide leak at a Quality Inn & Suites in Niles, Michigan has killed one person and sickened 12 others. Bryan Watts, 13, of Niles died April 1 from carbon monoxide poisoning at the hotel. Five other children who were found unconscious beside him were rushed to Memorial South Bend Hospital in Indiana, police said. They range in age from 12 to 14.
UPDATE: Five children treated and released from Michigan hospital after deadly carbon monoxide leak at hotel pool. https://t.co/nhMk0adEG9 pic.twitter.com/c1567EouDB
— ABC News (@ABC) April 2, 2017
First responders performed CPR on the children who were transported to a local hospital. Some police officers responding to the emergency and two hotel employees also became ill.
UPDATE: Officials identify child who died as the result of a carbon monoxide leak at Quality Inn in Niles. https://t.co/YoWMWvFfbS
— WNDU (@WNDU) April 1, 2017
Niles Fire Capt. Don Wise told local media that the suspected cause of the leak was a malfunctioning vent pipe from the pool heater. Odorless and colorless, carbon monoxide (CO), found in the fumes made by combustion engines, causes sudden illness and death. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headache, confusion, weakness, nausea, vomiting and chest pain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Inhaling high levels of carbon monoxide leads to loss of consciousness and death. Each year in the United States, 500 people die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning.
Each year in the United States, 500 people die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. At home, using a carbon monoxide detector at home can reduce the risk of illness and death. Like smoke detectors, these devices should be placed in or near bedrooms where they can wake up anyone who is sleeping.
Choice Hotels, which owns the Quality Inn & Suites brand, said in a statement that it is working with local officials on the investigation of isolated incident which occurred at an independently-owned franchise and that the safety and well-being of guests is their highest priority.