Spence & Co. of Massachusetts is recalling New York-Style Nova Lox Smoked Salmon because it may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The recall includes 4 ounce packages of the lox with code/lot number 9720704, a total of 1,563 packages. Two people have listeriosis, the infection caused by Listeria bacteria, that may have been caused by eating the New York-Style Nova Lox.
The recalled salmon product was distributed in the following areas:
- Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and in the Detroit area between 9/26/12 and 10/5/12;
- Earthfare stores in Alabama, North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Florida, and Ohio between 9/28/12 and 10/5/12;
- Shaws Supermarkets in New England on 9/28/12, with expiration date of 10/21/12;
- Roche Bros. in Massachusetts on 9/26/12, with expiration date of 10/19/12; and
- Fresh Markets in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Illinois, Alabama, Arizona, Ohio, Tennessee, South Carolina, Virginia, Indiana, Michigan, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
For more information, please see the following:
- Listeriosis wrongful death;
- Listeria meningitis;
- Listeriosis sepsis;
- Listeriosis miscarriage; and
- Baby born with listeriosis.