The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has ordered Reliable Transportation Services, Inc., a Utah-based trucking company, to immediately cease all transportation services, declaring the company and its principal, Jay Zachary Barber, an imminent hazard to public safety. According to the FMCSA order, “Reliable Transportation has violated countless federal statutory and regulatory motor carrier safety rules and has been in at least seven crashes in the last year, which include six crashes since December 2011.”
The order comes after an extensive review of the company’s operations that found the company:
- fails to monitor and ensure that its drivers comply with drivers’ hours of service (HOS) and records of duty status requirements;
- fails to ensure that its commercial motor vehicles are inspected, repaired, and maintained;
- fails to ensure that its drivers have appropriate licenses and endorsements for the commercial motor vehicles they operate;
- fails to ensure its drivers are medically examined and certified;
- fails to ensure its drivers are properly qualified to operate commercial motor vehicles;
- fails to comply with driver controlled substances and alcohol use testing requirements;
- fails to comply with hazardous materials regulations (HMRs ), including registration requirements, training requirements and placarding requirements; and
- intentionally submits fraudulent documents in order to avoid detection of continued safety violations.
According to the FMCSA order, the company used drivers with suspended or disqualified commercial licenses, did not have a driver drug and alcohol testing program, and violated the federal hours-of-service regulations to a degree that the company “substantially increased the likelihood of serious injury or death to the traveling public.”
I am glad to see that FMCSA has taken action to keep our roads safe, particularly in this case, where the commercial trucking company blatantly disregarded safety and had a record of traffic accidents.
Attorney Eric Hageman represents clients in personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits against truck drivers and trucking companies. To contact Eric, call 888-377-8900 or submit our free consultation form. For more information, read Semi Truck Accident Lawyer.