Each year thousands of people are killed in accidents involving a semi-trailer or other large commercial truck. If this has happened to your loved one, you may have important questions about the accident that you want answered. An independent investigation into the accident by a team of experts can provide answers for you and your family.
Accident Investigation Case Study
I represented a family in a wrongful death case where a woman riding her bicycle in the bike lane of a city street was struck and killed by the trailer of an 18-wheeler. The police report stated that the accident was caused by the bicyclist, but the woman’s husband had doubts and came to us for answers.
Attorney Fred Pritzker and I took the case and immediately began the investigation. The evidence we found convinced the jury that the truck driver was more than 50% at fault, and the family won over a million dollars:
- The truck driver’s logbooks had numerous falsifications, which should have caused the driver to be out of service at the time of the accident.
- Our deposition of the truck driver revealed 1) that he had failed to monitor his right outside mirrors during the turn that resulted in the bicyclist’s death and 2) that the driver believed he was pulling a 48-foot trailer, as opposed to the 53-foot trailer he was actually pulling.
- Our accident reconstruction team used evidence gathered at the scene, eyewitness accounts, the police report and other evidence to reconstruct the accident, which showed that the truck was at fault.
Truck Fatalities Crash Factors
Data collected by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) found several factors that frequently contribute to fatalities caused by large commercial trucks:
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Illegal passing
- Wide turn
- Negligent lane change
- Distracted driving
- Inadequate sleep
- Falling cargo
- Loose wheel
- Defective tire, hitch, brakes or other part
- Aggressive driving
- Stalled or disabled truck.
National accident attorney Eric Hageman represents families in wrongful death suits against truck drivers, trucking companies, freight companies and others. He has won millions for his clients. To contact Eric for a free consultation, call 1-888-377-8900 (toll free) or submit our free consultation form. Our law firm is not paid unless we win your case.