Salmonella colitis is a severe illness that, at best, causes extreme weight loss due to pain and discomfort. Our Salmonella lawyers have represented people who needed part of their colons removed in a procedure called a colectomy.
One of our clients is a sweet woman in her 80s. She ate a contaminated food product and almost died. One of the procedures done to save her life was a colectomy. You can contact our law firm for a free consultation with a lawyer using the form below.
“One bite of tainted food sold to our client changed her life,” said Fred Pritzker, a food safety lawyer who represents people sickened by contaminated food. “It is the responsibility of companies selling food products to make sure they are safe.”
What is Salmonella Colitis?
Salmonella colitis is an ulcerative colitis that can be hemorrhagic. Symptoms include the following:
- bloody diarrhea
- abdominal cramping
- mucosal edema
- petechial hemorrhage
- aphthous erosions
Complications of this type of colitis include toxic magacolon and spontaneous perforation, either of which can cause death. Severe cases can require a colectomy (surgery to remove part of the colon (large intestine)) and ileostomy (surgical opening constructed by bringing the end or loop of small intestine (the ileum) out onto the surface of the skin). People with ileostomies must use an ostomy pouch to collect intestinal waste.
Colitis occurs in about 10% of Salmonella victims.
You Can Sue a Restaurant or Food Company
If your case can be linked to a restaurant or specific food product, you may have a claim against a restaurant and/or food company. Our lawyers have significant experience with these cases and have won millions for clients for personal injury or wrongful death from tainted food who developed colitis.
In some of our cases, our clients had to have surgery as discussed above. The settlements and verdicts in these cases are generally substantial.
You can click here now to contact our Salmonella lawyers and get your free consultation.
For more information, read “Can I Sue a Restaurant for Food Poisoning?“