Three Americans Die from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Airbnb in Mexico City

Three American tourists died from carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at an Airbnb rental in Mexico City. Kandace Florence and Jordan Marshall, both 28 years old, and 33 year old Courtez Hall traveled to Mexico City to celebrate Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) last month. Through Airbnb, they rented an apartment in the La Rosita neighborhood of the Cuajimalpa de Morelos borough.

On October 30, Kandace called her boyfriend and said she did not feel well. When the call dropped after she got sick on the phone, her boyfriend contacted the Airbnb host and requested a wellness check. When police arrived, the three friends were found unresponsive.

Security guards at the apartment complex reported a strong gas smell in the rental unit. In a statement released this week, the Attorney General’s Office of Mexico City said blood tests determined that Kandace, Jordan, and Courtez all died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Investigators found a failure in the apartment’s gas boiler, which released CO gas.

The Airbnb listing has been suspended and all future reservations canceled. A spokesperson from Airbnb told ABC News, “Our priority now is to provide support to those affected while the authorities investigate what happened and we are available to cooperate with the investigation in any way we can.”

Another American Tourist Dies from CO Poisoning at Nearby Vacation Rental

On the same day that Kandace, Jordan, and Courtez lost their lives, another American tourist died of carbon monoxide poisoning at a nearby vacation rental. Twenty-nine-year-old Angélica Arce traveled to Mexico City with her siblings Marco and Andrea to see the 2022 Mexico Grand Prix. After feeling nauseous and dizzy, the siblings saw a doctor who diagnosed them with heat exhaustion. The siblings returned to their rental apartment, unaware of the CO exposure. Tragically, they woke up the next day to find Angélica dead.

Marco and Andrea stayed in the hospital for four days to receive treatment for CO poisoning. Their parents traveled to Mexico City from San Diego to bring Angélica home. It is not confirmed whether the rental that Angélica died in was listed on Airbnb.

Contact the Pritzker Hageman Wrongful Death Legal Team Today

Phone: 1-888-377-8900  |  Text: 612-261-0856

The consultation is free and you never pay anything until we win for you.

Airbnb Lawsuit for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Data from the CDC shows that more than 400 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year. The number of CO deaths related to vacation rentals has been on the rise, totaling 12 in 2019. There have been several deaths linked to Airbnb rental properties.

In 2021, a wrongful death lawsuit was filed against Airbnb for a man who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in El Poblado, Columbia. News outlets including 2urbangirls reported that Airbnb is in the process of settling another wrongful death lawsuit for a guest who died from CO poisoning in Mexico.

Lawsuit investigations have found that carbon monoxide leaks often come from the following sources, among others.

  • Water heaters and boilers
  • Furnaces
  • Washers and dryers
  • Fireplaces and chimneys
  • Cooking appliances
  • Lawn equipment

Families Call on Airbnb for Policy Changes to Protect Renters

Airbnb only requires smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors at higher-end Airbnb Plus rentals and in locations where local laws require them. Family members whose loved ones have died from CO poisoning at Airbnb properties have spoken out in the media to call on the company to make changes to protect future renters.

In an interview with CNN, Jordan Marshall’s mother Jennifer called for Airbnb to mandate the use of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to prevent future tragedies. “We want to make sure his death was not in vain,” she said.

After Chris Moller’s parents died from carbon monoxide poisoning at an Airbnb rental in Mexico in 2018, he publicly questioned the company’s safety requirements. Moller told WWL TV, “They’re running their business on the honor system rather than any strict regulation and you don’t know if these hosts are obeying the rules so to speak or are being safe and maintaining their place.”

Contact a Skilled Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer

If your family member died from carbon monoxide poisoning at an Airbnb or other vacation rental, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. While no amount of money could ever make up for your loss, filing a lawsuit will help your family get justice and compensation for your loved one’s death.

For a free, no-obligation consultation with our legal team, please call 1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or fill out the form below.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Share this article:

Category: Wrongful Death
Ready to talk?

We're here to listen. Tell us what happened to you.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Articles