An accident at the intersection of York Street and South Frontage Road on Tuesday, January 17, 2017, resulted in the tragic death of one woman. Melissa Tancredi, of Waterbury, CT, was on the sidewalk of this busy intersection when a car went straight through a turn-only lane, jumped the curb, and struck and killed her.
This accident took place half a block away from the Yale-New Haven hospital, where she was an employee, and it is the second time that a pedestrian-car accident has happened at this intersection in the recent past. Previous pedestrian-car accidents in New Haven have prompted the creation of a number of pedestrian awareness and safety campaigns, including a “Street Smarts” campaign that lead to the creation of new laws and the changing of traffic patterns.
Holding an At-Fault Driver Accountable
Most of the families that contact us for help after a fatal accident want justice. Our lawyers work with these families to make sure that the person or people responsible for their loved one’s death are held responsible. For accident cases, that means filing a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the family. These lawsuits often recover money for lost income, loss of companionship, and other damages.
Our law firm takes investigating and trying these cases very seriously. Even if it is likely that a case will settle out of court, our lawyers still prepare every case they take on for trial. We only settle cases when the settlement is on our terms.
It is important when speaking to a lawyer about representing you or your family that you understand how they investigate a case. A thorough investigation can be the difference between winning or losing a case. Below are steps our lawyers may take to investigate a case:
- Send a spoliation letter or any other necessary letter to keep evidence intact
- Personally investigate the accident and the vehicles involved. In many cases we hire accident reconstruction experts to accompany us on these fact-finding trips
- Hire medical experts to testify about the medical costs and the pain and suffering
- Make sure that our client has excellent medical care for his/her recovery
- Investigate any and all parties that might be responsible for the accident
- Send demand letters demanding that they take responsibility for the effect of their action.
Read about a past case investigation.
We are a multi-million dollar winning law firm that takes pride in taking care of people. The cases we take on and the investigations lead to safer roads, schools and sidewalks. Most importantly though, we help families along every step of the legal process after an accident. You can contact us by calling 1-888-277-8900 or by filling out our free consultation form.