A woman died after a mobile home explosion in Amherst Township, Ohio. Investigators say a preliminary investigation showed evidence of a gas leak.
Firefighters arrived at the Westwood Estates mobile home park shortly after 2 p.m. on Wednesday to find Rebecca Squires (53) badly burned. First responders transported Squires to Metrohealth Medical Center in Cleveland, where she sadly died from her injuries.
Did Natural Gas Cause the Amherst Township Mobile Home Explosion?
Although the investigation is still open, the Amherst Fire Chief says faulty supply lines in the area may have caused the mobile home explosion.
According to a statement from Columbia Gas, the utility did not find any leaks in the immediate area. A spokesperson said Columbia Gas owns “everything up to the house,” so a downstream line may have been at fault.
Residents say they smelled gas earlier in the day, but the fire department received no reports of a gas odor. Amherst fire officials recommend calling the local fire department as soon as possible if you smell gas.
Gas Explosion Lawyers Advocate for Increased Safety Measures to Prevent Deadly Explosions
Our gas explosion lawyers have been representing families in wrongful death lawsuits for the past 40 years. We fight powerful companies to help families get the justice and compensation they deserve for their loved one’s death.
Natural gas explosions kill an average of 13 people every year. A recent investigation by our legal team found an alarming lack of safety progress by gas utility companies. Our explosion lawyers have appeared on CBS News to call for a better system to protect people from the ongoing problem of gas line leaks and explosions.
If your loved one died in an explosion, you should talk to an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. Our legal team offers free, no-obligation consultations. Please call 1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or fill out the form below to talk to a lawyer about your case.