A first responder in North Dakota was called to a house fire at her own home where her son was burned after his mattress caught on fire. Shelby Jankowski was volunteering as a first responder when she heard the call to her home in Enderlin on Tuesday afternoon. When Shelby and a co-worker arrived at her home, fire crews had put out the fire and rescued her two-year-old son Royce. Royce suffered third-degree burn injuries on over 30% of his body after his mattress caught on fire. He was flown to a burn unit in Minnesota where he has been sedated and intubated for smoke inhalation. Royce is scheduled for surgery on Saturday and again on Monday.

Contact a Fire Attorney

Federal law requires mattresses to be tested in order to prevent burn injuries from house fires. When evidence proves that a mattress ignited and started a fire, burn survivors and their families can sue for compensation and justice. Our team of fire and explosion lawyers has been representing burn survivors and their families in house fire cases for the past 40 years. If you would like to talk to a lawyer about your potential case, please fill out the form below, call 1-888-377-8900, or text 612-261-0856.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.