A gas leak caused a house explosion in Rathdrum, Idaho, sending one person to the hospital with minor burn injuries.
The blast happened on Thursday afternoon after a contractor working in the front yard struck a gas line. A contractor for Ziply Fiber hit the gas line while running a fiber optic cable underground.
Avista Utilities responded to the scene after receiving a call about the gas leak. At the time of the house explosion, two homeowners and an Avista employee were inside. First responders transported a male homeowner to the hospital with minor burn injuries. The Avista employee was treated at the scene for minor first-degree burns to his neck.
What Caused the Rathdrum House Explosion?
The Northern Lakes Fire Marshal referred to this explosion as “unusual” because gas migrated through the ground and filled the house with natural gas. When power to the home was re-energized, a spark ignited the natural gas, causing an explosion. Investigators do not know yet what caused the spark.
Since the gas was concentrated underground, fire officials evacuated the 15-home neighborhood. Avista is working with displaced families to provide hotel accommodations.
An investigation is ongoing. According to an Avista spokesperson, crews are “working through the incident in Rathdrum involving the company’s natural gas infrastructure, following a third-party natural gas dig in.”
Experienced Gas Explosion Lawyers
Our gas explosion lawyers have been representing burn survivors and their families for the past 40 years. Gas line leaks and explosions happen far too often and are entirely preventable. Our lawyers have appeared on CBS News to call for more transparency and faster reporting to protect people from catastrophic gas line explosions.
If you or someone you love was injured in a gas explosion, you should contact an experienced burn injury lawyer right away. For a free consultation with our legal team, please call 1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or fill out the form below.