A 76-year-old man was injured in a gas explosion that started a fire in the garage of a home in Aspen on Sunday morning. The incident took place just after 10:30 A.M. at 621 West Francis Street. Aspen Daily News reports that the house is owned by Robert C. Cook. The homeowner, who was in the garage at the time of the explosion, was taken to Aspen Valley Hospital and then airlifted to a Denver hospital for treatment. The Aspen Fire Chief says that “He was really lucky to survive the explosion.”
Firefighters contained the fire to the garage, which was detached from the house.https://t.co/H3jG4VD76x
— Aspen Daily News (@AspenDailyNews) February 16, 2020
According to a news release issued by the Aspen Fire Department, the fire and explosion were related to a natural gas leak that occurred when heavy snow and ice fell from the roof of the garage and damaged a natural gas meter below. Aspen Fire is urging local residents to check for protective covers that should be in place above gas meters that are in a location where they could be damaged by falling ice or snow.
Fire and Explosion Legal Team
Our fire and explosion attorneys represent injured people and families in cases nationwide. We have obtained millions of dollars for our clients, many of whom have been seriously injured by gas leak explosions. For a free legal consultation, please fill out the form below, call 1-888-377-8900, or text 612-261-0856.