An E. coli outbreak at the San Diego County Fair has sickened another child bringing the total to five illnesses, one of which was fatal. And health officials say more illnesses are likely to be reported.
The five children sickened, who attended the fair between June 8 and June 15, range in age from 2 to 13. The youngest of them, Jedidiah Cabezuela, 2, died of complications from his infection. A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family.
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a serious complication that affects between 5 and 10 percent of people stricken with E. coli infections. With HUS, blood cells become so misshapen that they can’t pass through the kidneys forming clogs that cause the kidneys to fail. Young children, especially those under five, are at the highest risk of developing this complication.
They are also one of the age groups most likely to visit petting zoos.
At the recommendation of county health officials, the petting zoo and all animal contact areas have been closed for the remaining days of the fair. A veterinarian from the state agriculture department has been collecting samples from the areas in questions. Results from those tests are expected next week.
Symptoms of an E. coli infection can take anywhere from one to 10 days after exposure to develop. They include abdominal cramps and bloody diarrhea. If you attended the fair and your child has these symptoms, see a doctor right away.
If your child attended the fair and was sickened with E. coli after visiting a petting zoo, we want to help. And we can. Call us toll-free at 1 (888) 377-8900 for a free consultation or use the form below.