A propane explosion at a house in Remer, MN yesterday seriously injured a man who was working on the furnace. The injured man, who was the only one inside the home at the time of the blast, was airlifted to a hospital in the Twin Cities for treatment of burns and other explosion injuries.
Remer is a small community in Cass County located about an hour north of Brainerd.
Propane is odorless and highly flammable. As with natural gas, an odorant is added to propane to serve as a warning for leaks. But, while natural gas is lighter than air and rises, propane is heavy and sinks. So, when there is a leak, propane will accumulate in basements and other low-lying areas.
Sometimes there is no smell warning when a propane leak has occurred. Odor fade, a process of absorption and oxidation, causes the smell of the odorant to dissipate so much that it can’t be detected. This usually happens when pipes are new or when propane tanks aren’t properly filled.
The explosion lawyers at Pritzker Hageman represent clients nationwide who have been injured in explosions including one client who was injured in an odor fade incident caused by an improperly filled propane tank. If you have been injured in an explosion, we want to help. To put our experienced team to work for you, call 1 (888) 377-8900 (toll-free), send a text to 612-261-0856, or complete the form below. The consultation is free and there is no obligation.