After a rental house exploded in Roswell, GA, two young men are in the ICU at Grady Memorial Hospital with second-degree and third-degree burns over 50 percent of their bodies. Roommates Win Reid, Brendan Morton, and Pat Sammons, all in their 20s, had only moved into the house days before the June 12 blast.

Morton and Sammons were in the basement of the home, located on Pine Grove Point Dr., when the explosion occurred around 8:45 p.m. Both suffered severe burn injuries and were transported to Grady Memorial Hospital where they remain in the ICU. Reid, who was on the opposite side of the house, sustained minor injuries and was treated at the scene.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help the young men.

Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman
Explosion attorneys Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman

Fire crews who responded to the scene said a fire did not follow the explosion which completely destroyed the home.  Neighbors wondered if a gas leak cause the explosion and told WSB-TV that crews had been out to fix a gas leak in the neighborhood within the last two months.

One of the young men injured in the explosion said they had purchased and were planning to install a washer and dryer they had purchased from Craigslist. But there was a foul, moldy smell coming from the washing machine hose. They lit a candle to mitigate the odor and that’s when the blast occurred.

Fire officials have determined that a gas leak from the dryer was the cause of the explosion. An investigation is ongoing.

The explosion lawyers at Pritzker Hageman help people nationwide who have been injured in explosions. They have and have won multi-million-dollar settlements for people who were severely burned in blasts caused by propane (LP gas) leaks and pipeline breaches, including $10 million for one client who was injured at work. Our lead lawyers for these cases are Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman. Read their FAQ on explosion lawsuits,  request a free consultation or, to speak with Fred or Eric, call 1(888) 377-8900 toll-free. There is no obligation.

June 14, 2018 Update: This post was updated 6/14/18 to include information that fire officials have determined a gas leak in the dryer was the cause of the explosion.

News sources:
Rubble-from-house-explosion

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/local/roswell/atlanta-gas-light-investigating-roswell-home-explosion/85-563909857

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime–law/breaking-house-explosion-roswell-hospitalizes-authorities-say/xmCJHiR4uMjst42YXOwmwM/

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/roswell-fire-two-seriously-burned-in-explosion

http://www.wistv.com/story/38411648/two-badly-burned-after-home-explodes-in-roswell