Four men were injured in a gas explosion at an apartment complex in Torrance, CA on April 8. Three of them sustained serious injuries and were hospitalized, one of them has been placed in a medically induced coma.
— Daily Breeze (@DailyBreezeNews) April 9, 2018
Beatrice Marin told NBC4 that her husband and son, 20, were among the injured in the blast which occurred around 1:20 p.m. Both were transported to an area hospital where her son was placed in a medically induced coma, she said.
The four injured men were part of a work crew that was performing renovations at the apartment complex located in the 23500 block of Anza Avenue. They were installing new kitchen appliances in one of the units when something set off an explosion that was so powerful it shook the entire building and significantly damaged two units.
Neighbors described the sound and intensity of the blast to local media, some of them saying they had smelled gas prior to the explosion.
A gas service line in the kitchen was the source of the explosion, Steve Treskes, assistant chief of the Torrance Fire Department, told the Daily Breeze. Fire officials are now trying to determine if the gas leak was present before the appliances were installed.
Firefighters and a Hazmat team responded to the scene. They closed traffic in both directions of Anza Avenue while the Hazmat team performed tests for gas. A team from the gas company was also at the scene. The investigation is ongoing.
Pritzker Hageman is one of the few law firms in the country that has experience with explosion cases. Our lead attorneys for these cases, Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman, know how to help families who are suffering and individuals who are recovering from severe injuries. They have won several multi-million-dollar settlements for their clients including a recent settlement for $40 million. Contact them for a free consultation.