Our law firm is investigating the E. coli outbreak linked to Romaine lettuce that has sickened 10 people in Idaho and over 50 people in 16 other states. Three people from Iowa were hospitalized, two of whom developed kidney failure from an E. coli complication called hemoytic uremic syndrome (HUS). All three of the people hospitalized were adults between the ages of 20 and 55.
The CDC is warning consumers not to eat any Romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Ariz., growing region, including chopped, whole heads, and hearts of Romaine from that area.
Contact Our Law Firm for Help
All eight people who contracted E. coli in Idaho told health officials that they had eaten Romaine lettuce in the 10 days before getting sick. The CDC is warning consumers that chopped Romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Ariz., growing region, could be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 and causing illness. However, no common grower, supplier, distributor, or brand has been identified yet. In addition at least one restaurant chain served chopped Romaine lettuce to people who later were diagnosed with E. coli O157:H7 infections.
Pre-chopped romaine lettuce is sold in restaurants, delis, grocery stores, and specialty food stores throughout Idaho. Companies, including Freshway Foods, have begun issuing recalls of pre-chopped Romaine lettuce products.
The CDC has issued the following recommendation to prevent E. coli from lettuce:
“Consumers anywhere in the United States who have store-bought chopped romaine lettuce at home, including salads and salad mixes containing chopped romaine lettuce, should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick.”
“Ingesting just 10 cells of E. coli bacteria can cause severe illness. As everyone sickened in this outbreak knows, this is way more than mild flu symptoms. The pain is extremely intense, and the complications can cause permanent damage to the kidneys, heart and brain.”Attorney Brendan Flaherty
E. coli attorney Brendan Flaherty has won several multimillion-dollar recoveries for clients sickened by contaminated food. Contact him to find out if you can sue a restaurant for E. coli O157 poisoning.