2017-12-05T13:59:35+00:00Pritzker Hageman, P.A.
45 S 7th St, #2950
Minneapolis, MN, 55402
U.S.A
+1.612.338.0202

One man was injured when a house in the Baltimore Highlands area exploded and caught fire December 4. Firefighters were called to the scene in the 2800 block of Virginia Ave. around 2:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found the home had been knocked off its foundation and the roof of the house engulfed in flames and thick black smoke.

Steve Richards was injured in the blast. He was airlifted to Shock Trauma at the University of Maryland Medical Center for treatment. On Monday evening, he was listed in serious condition.

Steve and his brother Paul Richards have been renting the home for about a year. Paul told WBAL-TV that they were watching tv in the living room when they heard a large boom and Steve yelled “get out.” Paul ran outside but Steve tripped and fell down some stairs. He was injured when a second explosion occurred when he was trying to exit from a side door. With the help of some neighbors, Paul was able to move Steve away from the house until first responders arrived.

More than 80 firefighters responded to the scene. The house, which was shifted from its foundation, sustained significant damage and will likely be torn down. Baltimore County Fire Fire Captain Tim Rostkowski said neighboring homes weren’t damaged. A crew from Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) was also dispatched to the scene. They were working with fire officials to determine the source of the blast. The name of the owner of the home has not been released.

In June, another house explosion in Southeast Baltimore injured four adults and three children.
Fire officials determined the source of that blast was natural gas. All seven of the victims of the natural gas explosion survived.

Can I Sue a Landlord for a House Explosion?

Explosion injuries can be horrendous. We have had clients with such severe burns that they lost limbs. Our thoughts are with the man injured yesterday.

Explosion and Fire
This is a picture of a house that was destroyed in another explosion, one where our client was burned on over 50 percent of his body. That blast was caused by a propane leak. Our gas explosion lawyers investigated and found evidence that the gas company that filled the tank was legally responsible.