Woman Injured in Elk River Rollover

At 1:28 a.m., December 14, 2015, the driver of a car lost control of the vehicle and rolled, seriously injuring herself and her passenger, a 24-year-old from Elk River, Minnesota. This tragic accident happened on Highway 169 at Highway 10 in Elk River.

Alcohol was detected in the driver, according to the Minnesota State Patrol.

Can a Bar Be Sued for Injuries from a Crash?

Yes, you can sue a bar for injuries suffered in a crash if the bar illegally served alcohol to the at-fault driver prior to the accident, under Minnesota dram shop laws. It is illegal under Minnesota law for a bar to serve alcohol:

  • to someone who is obviously intoxicated;
  • without a license; or
  • after hours.

A rollover investigation where alcohol has been detected in the driver should always include finding out where the person was drinking prior to the accident.  If a bar, restaurant, liquor store or other “dram shop” is involved, evidence needs to be gathered to prove the driver was illegally served alcohol. This can include interviewing witnesses, uncovering video footage and deposing employees and managers.

Share this article:

Category: Accidents
Ready to talk?

We're here to listen. Tell us what happened to you.

We are not paid unless you win. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Articles