The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Services (USDA FSIS) has issued a public health alert for Frank’s Butcher Shop ground beef after it tested positive for E. coli O103. The ground beef, produced on October 4, was sold at Frank’s Butcher Shop in Hudson, WY. Consumers who have purchased this product should not eat it as E. coli can cause serious illness.
USDA FSIS issued the alert on October 13 after the company alerted the agency that a sample had tested positive for E. coli O103 during routine testing. USDA FSIS decided not to ask the company to issue a recall because the product was no longer being sold. However, the agency is concerned that some consumers may have the potentially contaminated ground beef in their freezers.
Representatives of the company told USDA FSIS that they are trying to contact consumers who may have purchased 14 packages of ground beef subject to the public health alert. At the time the alert was issued, they were not aware of any illnesses.
Symptoms of an E. coli infection, which include abdominal cramps and diarrhea, usually develop one to three days after contaminated food is eaten. Anyone who ate the ground beef and developed symptoms should see a doctor and mention exposure to E. coli.
Contact the Pritzker Hageman Food Safety Lawyers Today
Phone: 1-888-377-8900 | Text: 612-261-0856
The consultation is free and you never pay anything until we win for you.