Our team of E.coli lawyers at Pritzker Hageman is representing a Minnesota woman who became so sick she nearly died from an E.coli infection that she contracted from eating romaine lettuce. The CDC traced her illness to a bag of Fresh Express romaine lettuce that she ate at a family gathering. Fresh Express has been linked to the Salinas romaine E.coli outbreaks that sickened more than 100 people in 2019.
“You always think that’s never going to happen to me, well it did.”
About two and a half months ago, 25-year-old Mariah Fisher Skadson of Brownsville, MN thought she had an ordinary stomach ache. However, her symptoms quickly became more serious, causing her to go to the hospital. After being released twice without getting any better, Mariah’s doctors finally diagnosed her with a Shiga-toxin producing E.coli infection.
Mariah spent four days in an induced coma in the ICU at Gundersen Health. While in the ICU, she was on a ventilator, had a feeding tube, and underwent dialysis for kidney failure. One of her doctors told WKBT News 8, “I’ve been doing this for 36 years. She’s the first adult I’ve seen with this particular problem.”
— WKBT News 8 (@news8news) February 7, 2020
While Mariah was lucky to survive, she still faces a long road ahead of physical, occupational, and speech therapy in order to get back to doing the things she used to do. She says that she’s pursuing legal action because she doesn’t want anyone else to go through what she went through. Our E.coli lawyers are representing Mariah and several other people sickened with E.coli food poisoning from eating romaine lettuce.