An outbreak linked to raw oysters contaminated with Vibrio, Shigella, E. coli, Campylobacter and norovirus has sickened 16 people in 5 states. Two people required hospitalization.
The oysters were harvested from Estero El Cadron in Baja California Sur, Mexico. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is warning the publicnot to eat, serve or sell oysters from this area. The agency is also consumers to eat only cooked oysters and shellfish.
The outbreak began in California earlier this year when 12 people who ate raw oysters at restaurants became ill. Now the outbreak has expanded to include case-patients in Alaska, Illinois, Nevada and New Hampshire. Each of those states has reported one case.
The case-patients in this outbreak range in age from 26 years old to 80 years old. Eleven of the patients are male. Health officials interviewed 15 of them. All said they ate raw oysters at restaurants in Nevada or California before they became ill. They reported onset-of-illness dates ranging from December 16, 2018 to April 4, 2019.
Raw oysters are often associated with Vibrio outbreaks asVibrio bacteria live in warm coastal waters. But it isn’t often that an outbreak is linked to oysters contaminated with a variety of bacteria and viruses. In addition to Vibrio, the oysters in this outbreak are contaminated with E. coli, Shigella and Campylobacter bacteria and norovirus.
- Three of the case-patients got Vibrio parahaemolyticus infections.
- One of them got a Vibrio albensis infection.
- One had a Vibrio infection of unknown origin.
- One had aVibrio parahaemolyticus infection and an E. coli infection.
- One had a Vibrio parahaemolyticus infection and a Shigella infection.
- Three of the case-patients got Shigella infections.
- One of them had Shigella and Campylobacter infections.
- One got norovirus.
- Four had food poisoning symptoms but a pathogen was not identified.
The food poisoning lawyers at Pritzker Hageman represent people who have been sickened by contaminated food. Over the last 20 years, they have represented clients in every major food poisoning outbreak in the U.S., suing restaurants and food companies to get fair compensation for their clients.
To request a free consultation with our Food Poisoning Team, call 1(888) 377-8900 toll-free, send a text to 612-261-0856 or use the form below and put our experienced team to work for you.