An E. coli outbreak at Red Robin in Westminster, CO sickened one adult and two children who ate at the restaurant on July 9. Food safety training for all employees who handle food was conducted while the restaurant was temporarily closed for cleaning and sanitizing.
Health officials from the Tri-County Health Department went to the restaurant, located at at 799 W. 146th Ave in Westminster, to conduct an inspection after being notified of the illnesses by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. They found several critical violations including improper food handling that could contribute to cross-contamination, lack of sufficient employee handwashing and lack of proper cleaning and sanitizing of food preparation surfaces.
An investigation of the outbreak is still ongoing.
Symptoms of an E. coli infection include abdominal cramps and diarrhea that can be bloody. Children, especially those who are 5 and under, are at heightened risk for a complication of some E. coli infections called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS) is a life-threatening form of kidney failure. E. coli infections should not be treated with antibiotics as it can increase the risk of HUS.
If you have been sickened by contaminated food served at this restaurant, we want to help. For a free consultation with our E. coli lawyers, call us at 1(888) 377-8900 (toll-free) or use the form below.