Following a Salmonella outbreak that sickened 30 people, La Luz Mexican restaurant in Old Town Fort Collins, CO has permanently closed. Some customers decided to file a lawsuit after becoming ill.

Can I Sue a Restaurant for Salmonella food poisoning?

What is Salmonella Food Poisoning?

Salmonella food poisoning happens when food contaminated with Salmonella is ingested and an infection, called salmonellosis, develops. Salmonella bacteria are found in the intestinal tracts of humans and other animals and are shed in their feces.  Food can be contaminated with Salmonella during slaughter, or when people who handle food haven’t adequately washed their hands after using the bathroom.

Symptoms of an infection usually develop between six and 72 hours of exposure and last about a week. They include:

    • Abdominal cramps
    • Diarrhea
    • Fever
    • Headache

Those most at risk of infection, of suffering the most severe type of infection and of developing complications of an infection are children, seniors and people with chronic conditions such as diabetes or HIV infection. Some cases, where the infection travels from the intestines to the bloodstream, can be life-threatening and must be treated promptly with antibiotics.

Salmonella PoisoningFor a free consultation with the Salmonella team at Pritzker Hageman, call 1 (888) 377-8900 (toll-free) or use this online form.  Our Salmonella lawyers have represented clients nationwide who have been sickened by contaminated food and have recovered millions for them.

La Luz Salmonella Outbreak

People sickened in this outbreak ate at the restaurant, located at 200 Walnut St. in Old Town Fort Collins, CO, sometime after August 1. After the outbreak was discovered, the restaurant voluntarily closed for 20 days during the outbreak investigation and then reopened for one week before closing permanently on September 17.  (Other La Luz locations were not affected by this outbreak)

La Luz Salmonella Lawsuits

A 24-year-old For Collins woman sued the restaurant alleging she contracted a Salmonella infection after eating tacos, chips and salsa during an August 9 visit to the restaurant. She developed symptoms the next day and sought medical help after suffering for three days. Lab tests confirmed she had a Salmonella infection.

Another lawsuit was filed on behalf of a 5-year-old boy alleges he became ill after eating a chicken quesadilla, salsa and chips during an August 9 visit to the restaurant. His infection was severe and he needed to be hospitalized for several days.

 

News source:

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2018/09/17/old-town-fort-collins-la-luz-mexican-grill-closes-permanently/1338486002/