UW Hospital, Part of UW Health in Madison, WI Has Reported Four Cases of Legionnaires Disease
Cases Linked by Media Reports to UW Hospital Water System
News reports are suggesting the disease was caused by contact with the hospital’s water system. As of November 30th, 2018 one of the four affected patients has died.
A fifth case has been reported at St. Mary’s hospital in Madison. That case is currently suspected to have been contracted in the community and not at a hospital
Legionnaires’ disease is caused by breathing in water mist contaminated with Legionella bacteria, often as a result of poorly maintained water systems. It is not contagious. You can only get it from direct exposure to the aerosolized mist of water from a contaminated source.
Legionnaires’ disease causes a serious form of pneumonia and can be fatal. Complications can include:
- Respiratory failure. Where changes to lung tissue or oxygen loss in arteries supplying the lungs cause respiratory failure.
- Septic shock. Legionella bacteria can produce toxins that enter the blood stream and cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, leading to loss of adequate blood supply to vital organs. This can result in organ failure and death.
- Kidney failure. The Legionella toxins can damage the kidneys’ ability to eliminate waste from the blood.
- Endocarditis. This is an infection of the an inner lining of the heart. This can affect the ability of your heart to work correctly and maintain adequate blood flow throughout the body.
- Pericarditis. This is a swelling of the pericardium, which is the primary membrane around your heart. This can also affect the ability of the heart to circulate blood throughout the body.
Can I Sue a Hospital for Getting Legionnaires Disease?
If contaminated water at the hospital made you sick, you can sue the hospital.
When filing a lawsuit our Legionnaires Disease law team will seek money to compensate you for the harm caused by this deadly form of pneumonia.
If your loved one was sickened and died, you may also be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
For a free consultation contact attorney Fred Pritzker and the Legionnaires Disease law team at Pritker Hageman.
Toll free at:
Or with the form below…