Can I Sue a Hotel for Personal Injury or Wrongful Death?
Yes, if the injury or wrongful death can be connected to the hotel. Most of these cases involve negligence, meaning the owner and management acted or failed to act in a way that would be reasonable for the industry. Our lawyers investigate, looking for evidence of negligence in the following areas: maintenance, security, fire prevention, evacuation, safety, training, staffing, and supervision.
It is important to mention that our legal team handles cases involving serious injury or death. We do not handle cases where hotel staff wrongly evicted a guest or caused a guest’s property to be lost, stolen or destroyed.
Our law firm has won millions in cases against big chains and their armies of corporate attorneys. You can contact our law firm for a free consultation with a lawyer.
Hotel Lawsuit Claims
Personal injury and wrongful death claims against hotels and motels generally involve one of the following (settlements/verdicts for clients in parenthesis):
- Legionnaires disease, a severe pneumonia caused by Legionella bacteria that has contaminated water in a hotel or motel cooling tower, swimming pool, or other water source ($3 million);
- Food poisoning (campylobacteriosis, E. coli, hepatitis A, listeriosis, norovirus, and Salmonella) from contaminated food or water served at a restaurant ($7.5 million);
- Injuries from fires, including burns, smoke inhalation, carbon monoxide poisoning, and brain damage from oxygen deprivation (cerebral anoxia) ($10 million);
- Drowning in a pool ($3 million); or
- Assault in a room (including rape or other sexual assault, physical beatings, etc.), at the bar or anywhere on the property ($2.9 million).
Punitive damages can be pursued in cases where there is gross negligence (such as not cleaning a cooling tower after Legionella bacteria is found, not replacing broken fire alarms or windows, or not making a repair that management knows is necessary to prevent harm). Punitive damages, which can be in the millions of dollars, are meant to punish and deter future bad behavior.
Attorney with Experience and Multi-Million-Dollar Settlements
Cases of serious injury and wrongful death can be worth millions, but it is critical that you hire an attorney with experience litigating these types of cases. Attorney Fred Pritzker is our lead attorney for these cases and represents injury victims and their families nationwide. Fred’s national practice is important because most of these cases involve several states: the state where the accident happened, the state in which the victim resided at the time of the accident, and the state where the corporate offices are located.