A Legionnaires’ disease outbreak at the AmericInn in Schaumberg, IL has sickened two people. Legionnaires’ disease is a severe form of pneumonia that is transmitted through contaminated water droplets. In addition to using the water in their rooms, both guests reported using the hot tub and pool during their stays in July and August. The hotel has closed those areas and will keep them closed for the duration of the investigation, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH).
IDPH is working with the Cook County health department on the investigation of the outbreak. Health officials conducted an environmental assessment at the hotel on August 15, 2019. The hotel is contacting all guests who have stayed at the hotel since June 13 to let them know of possible exposure to Legionella bacteria.
Symptoms of an infection, which usually develop within two weeks of exposure, include fever, chills, muscle aches, cough and shortness of breath. People at elevated risk for contracting an infection include those over 50, current and former smokers and people with weakened immune systems.
About one of every five cases of Legionnaires’ disease is fatal as was the case with one of our recent Legionnaires’ disease lawsuits against a hotel. Our client contracted Legionnaires’ disease while celebrating her 40th wedding anniversary with her husband at a hotel in Las Vegas. Just one week later, she passed away.
If you or a loved one are part of this outbreak, contact our Legionnaires’ Team for a free consultation. Our Legionnaires’ disease attorneys have represented clients nationwide in outbreaks linked to hotels, apartment buildings and health care settings. They can help you determine if you have a case. For a free consultation, call 1(888) 377-8900 (toll-free), text 612-261-0856 or use the form below.
- 12 Known Sick and Possibly 55 More Cases Linked to the Sheraton Atlanta
- Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreak at Christmas Mountain Resort in Wisconsin Dells
- Four people sickened in Crookston, MN Outbreak
- Four Seasons Palm Springs Legionnaires’ Outbreak
- 5 People with Legionnaires’ Disease at SpringHill Suites in Round Rock, Texas
- Hannibal Best Western
- Opera House Hotel in New York
- Marriott SpringHill Suites Hotel in Altamonte, Florida
- Super 8 Motel in Lacey, Washington
- Econo Lodge in Ocean City, MD
- Lawsuit against Sleep Inn Owner