What to Do if You Suspect Nursing Home Malpractice

If you suspect your parent is being harmed by nursing home malpractice, the most important things you can do is contact an attorney and document anything incidents you think may be relevant. If your parent has been injured, he or she may have a personal injury claim. If your parent has died, your family may have a wrongful death claim. You can contact our law firm at 1-888-377-8900 (toll free) or by using our free consultation form.

Common Signs of Nursing Home Malpractice

If you suspect that someone has been hurt because of nursing home malpractice (abuse or neglect), here are the common signs:

  • You see open wounds, a sudden change in behavior, weight loss, burns, or broken bones, and the caretaker cannot give an adequate explanation.
  • The resident is emotionally upset or agitated. He or she becomes extremely withdrawn, or exhibits unusual behavior such as sucking, biting or rocking.
  • The resident has pressure sores (bed sores), or begs for food. You see signs of poor personal hygiene, unsanitary conditions, or a soiled bed.

Report to State and Local Agencies

If you suspect nursing home abuse or neglect you should report the allegation immediately. The report should include the name, address, age and condition of the patient, the name and address of the nursing home, a description of the abuse or neglect, the names of the people you believe may have caused the abuse or neglect, the names of any witnesses and any other information that may assist the authorities in investigating this matter. Keep a copy of your report. Direct it to the state or local agencies responsible for regulating nursing homes or to local law enforcement agencies.

Attorney Fred Pritzker
Attorney Fred Pritzker

Get Your Free Consultation

We highly recommend that you talk to a lawyer about your loved one’s case as soon as possible. There are statutes of limitation to consider and there may be notice requirements as well. You can use our free consultation form to contact our medical malpractice lawyers and get your free consultation.  Our attorneys represent elderly people and their families throughout Minnesota. Our offices are in Minneapolis.