Fred’s and Brendan’s presentation was entitled, “Scientific Evidence and Working with Experts.” They discussed legal issues regarding expert witness testimony and lessons they learned from litigating a case for the families of premature babies who were sickened by food. They won $10 million for these little ones and their families.
6 Tips for Attorneys Working with Experts
Below are 6 of the tips Fred and Brendan shared with the attorneys in the audience.
- Review relevant peer-reviewed scientific literature.
- Work with experts early.
- Designate a single attorney as the point of contact with the expert.
- Fully document any conversations or other interactions with your expert.
- Understand what communications will be discoverable in your jurisdiction.
- Involve experts in forming technical tutorials to be used in mediation and trial.
Fred and Brendan discussed the use of scientific evidence and expert witnesses in the context of a case they recently successfully resolved involving several premature babies who were sickened after consuming a food product. They were named “Attorneys of the Year” by Minnesota Lawyer for their work on that case.
Fred and Brendan can be reached at 612-338-0202.