Fire and Explosion

First Student Bus Explosion Injures 1 in Rochester, MN

An employee at First Student, a transportation company in Rochester, MN, was injured and taken to the hospital when a propane-fueled bus exploded in a garage on February 17. Five people were in the garage, located at 2021 32nd Ave….

Grain Dust Explosions Decrease But Fatalities Increase in 2016

In 2016, the number of grain dust explosions hit a 10-year low, but fatalities were reported for the first time since 2013, according to a new report from the Purdue University’s Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering. Five grain dust explosions last…

Grieving Over the Loss of a Loved One
16 Feb 2017
Man Dies in Boiler Explosion in Revere, MA

A boiler explosion has killed a Revere, MA  man. Reyes Bertrand,  50, a husband and father of two,  died while checking on a boiler that had recently been malfunctioning. The explosion occurred just after 4:30 a.m. on February 15 in…

Fire Fighters
14 Feb 2017
Man Dies in Duluth House Fire

A house fire in Duluth, MN has claimed the life of one man early this morning. Firefighters responding to the call just after midnight arrived to find the home, located in the 4500 block of Cooke Street, fully engulfed in…

09 Feb 2017
3 Killed, 7 Injured in PCA Explosion in Deridder, LA

Three men died and seven others were injured in an explosion at Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) in DeRidder, AL on February, 8. William Rolls Jr., 32; Jody L. Gooch, 40; and Sedrick Stallworth, 42  died in an explosion that occurred while their…

White-rose-memorial-grief
08 Feb 2017
Reed College Student Dies in Portland Apartment Fire

A Reed College student, Mara Gibbs, has died from injuries she sustained in a February 5 apartment fire in Southeast Portland, OR. Firefighters arrived at the off-campus apartment, located at the Garden Park Apartments on Southeast 30th Avenue, at 5:15 a.m….

hospital interior
07 Feb 2017
ABA Safety Tips for National Burn Awareness Week

Burn injuries are a leading cause of injury and death in the United States. Because it is National Burn Awareness Week, February 5-11, 2017,  the American Burn Association (ABA) has compiled some safety tips to reduce the risk of injury….

Air ambulance helicopeter
06 Feb 2017
Girl, 7, Airlifted to Hospital after NoDa Apartment Fire

A seven-year-old girl who suffered severe burns in a NoDa apartment fire was airlifted to Wake Forest University Baptist Burn Center in Winston-Salem. Fire crews arrived at the Twin Oaks Apartments off of East 36th Street in the arts district…

03 Feb 2017
Man Dies in White County, GA House Explosion

A propane leak was the source of a February 3 house explosion in White County, GA that killed one man. Edgar Brummett, a Vietnam veteran who recently celebrated his 71st birthday, died when he went to check on a problem with…