Explosion at Pike’s Soda Shop Injures 1 Employee
A gas leak is the suspected source of an explosion at Pike’s Soda Shop in Charlotte, NC that left one employee hospitalized with severe burns. The explosion and fire occurred during business hours at the restaurant, located on Camden Avenue, on Sunday, March 12.
The owner told wscotv.com that a gas line to an appliance exploded setting off a fire. A statement from fire officials about the source of fire has not yet been released.
The injured man was taken to the burn center in Winston-Salem. Information on his current status was not made available.
— WSOCTV (@wsoctv) March 14, 2017
Most flammable gas fires involve natural gas or propane and most involve heat for cooking. Ignition of flammable gas was the source of about 51,600 fires resulting in 1,029 injuries and 168 deaths each year between 2007 and 2011, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Of those, about 31,340 fires per year were in non-residential settings, 28 percent of which were attributed to gas leaks or breaks in gas connections.
Burns and other injuries that result from fires and explosions such as smoke inhalation, brain damage, blast lung, heart or liver damage, crush injuries and damage to the eyes or ears, can be serious injuries that require specialized care over a lengthy period of time.
You can use our free consultation form to contact one of our lawyers. Or, call them toll-free at 1 (888) 377-8900.
14 March, 2017