Apartment Building Fire | Lawsuit for Burns and Smoke Inhalation

Our law firm recently won over $30 million for a client who was severely burned. Contact our law firm for a free attorney consultation at 1-888-377-8900 (toll free). Tell us your story and ask our lawyers questions. Read about a fire investigation.

Can I Sue a Landlord if My Apartment Building Starts on Fire and I Get Burned?

You may have the right to sue your landlord for money damages if you were burned or suffered smoke inhalation from an explosion and/or fire in your apartment building.  If an independent investigation by your lawyer finds that any of the statements below are true, you may have the grounds for a lawsuit:

  • a smoke alarm was not installed or did not go off when it should have;
  • there were no sprinklers installed or they did not emit any water when needed;
  • an electrial repair, failure to repair, or incorrectly installed electrical wiring was a factor;
  • garbage or an accumulation of materials ignited and either started or worsened the blaze;
  • improper storage of gas or any other flammable material caused an explosion;
  • a gas leak was not found and repaired;
  • an oven or other appliance malfunctioned;
  • the building was unsafe;
  • there were not escape routes or, if they existed, they were not posted as required by law;
  • building materials, flooring or furniture supplied by the landlord was unsafe due to flammability

“The best thing we can do for our client is to conduct a thorough investigation to determine the source of the fire and who is responsible,” said attorney Fred Pritzker. “No stone should go unturned.”

Fire and Explosion

Over 3000 people die each year from fire injuries, including burns and smoke inhalation.

Settlement for Apartment Fire Survivors

Our fire attorneys obtained a multi-million-dollar settlement for victims of an apartment blaze caused by upholstered furniture. Attorney Fred Pritzker was lead lawyer for this case.

Here’s what happened. Shortly after seven in the morning, a young father left his family’s apartment to go to work. His three children and their mother were asleep. Although no one knows for sure, it’s believed that one of the youngsters got up early and began playing with a butane lighter. He touched the lighter to the newly-purchased upholstered sofa. In a second it ignited. In a few more moments the sofa was in flames and toxic smoke poured into the small apartment. Within fewer than five minutes gas and super-heated air overcame the mother and her children. The mother and her oldest son died. The little girl suffered a severe brain damage and will require 24-hour care for the rest of her life. The youngest boy suffered respiratory injuries but eventually made a full recovery.

Our investigation found that the sofa did not meet safety standards and that the smoke alarms in the apartment were not working. Fred and his team won settlements from the landlord and the manufacturer of the sofa.

You can contact our law firm for a free consultation and talk with one of our lawyers.