Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Lawsuit Compensation

Lawyer Free ConsultationCarbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause personal injury and wrongful death.  Every year, over 200 people in the United States die from CO produced by fuel-burning appliances (furnaces, ranges, water heaters, room heaters). In many cases, these people have the right to sue for compensation from a landlord, builder, gas company, heating and air conditioning company and/or a manufacturer.

In a recent incident at a Quality Inn & Suites in Michigan, one child died and several others were hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Compensation for carbon monoxide survivors may include the following:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Emotional distress
  • Disability
  • Cost of care
  • Loss of quality of life
  • Other damages

Compensation for families with wrongful death claims may include the following:

  • Funeral expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Loss income
  • Loss of companionship
  • Loss of care
  • Other damages

Attorney for Personal Injury or Wrongful Death Lawsuit

You can contact attorney Fred Pritzker about a lawsuit for compensation against a landlord, hotel, manufacturer or other business. Fred has been named a “Super Lawyer” and is listed in the current and past issues of The Best Lawyers in America.

Who is Responsible for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Liablility in these cases can involve complex issues of causation, proving that something a party did or did not do caused the CO poisoning incident. Each case is unique, and the parties responsible can include:

  • A property owner (e.g., a landlord or hotel owner);
  • A service professional (e.g., a heating contractor);
  • A builder; and/or
  • A manufacturer (CO poisoning from a defective product, including a carbon monoxide detector that does not give an alarm).

Product Liability

In a recent case, a boiler was incorrectly installed in a new house.  When the new occupants moved in and turned on the boiler to heat the house, the boiler emitted high levels of carbon monoxide.  The family’s teenage son went to bed and was found dead the next morning.

The above case involved a product that was defective because it was improperly installed.  Some of these cases are caused by a product that is defective in design or manufacturing.

Premises Liability

Under the doctrine of premises liability, owners of property are held responsible for injuries sustained while on the property.  For example, if a landlord does not maintain a heating unit and the result is carbon monoxide poisoning, the landlord may be held liable.  Premises liability covers all property owner, not just landlords.  If your family member dies while at a summer camp, staying at a hotel, or staying at a friend’s house, you have the right to seek redress for your loss.

CO Poisoning Symptoms

Know the symptoms. At moderate levels, you or your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. You can even die if these levels persist for a long time. Low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea, and mild headaches, and may have longer term effects on your health. Since many of these symptoms are similar to those of the flu, food poisoning, or other illnesses, you may not think that CO poisoning could be the cause.

Related Articles


Carbon monoxide, killed a man from Vergas, Minnesota and sickened 8 others, including the man’s wife and first responders.


One man died and another was seriously sickened by carbon monoxide poisoning when propane heaters in a fish house on Leech Lake were not properly ventilated. Two other men were treated and released.


Family and friends of  a second-grader are mourning her unexpected death this week from carbon monoxide poisoning on Lake Minnetonka. Emergency crews were called to a Wayzata Bay dock Sunday to answer the distress call. In 2013, two men were overcome by the odorless gas while boating on Lake of the Woods on a vessel that had a faulty exhaust system.


A family in Crookston, Minnesota, has been devastated by carbon monoxide poisoning, which resulted in the tragic and senseless deaths of a husband and wife. “While we still don’t know what caused this tragedy, carbon monoxide deaths can occur when an appliance is defective or improperly serviced,” said attorney Eric Hageman. When that happens, the family may have a wrongful death claim.

What to Do if You Suspect Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you experience symptoms that you think could be from CO poisoning:

  • DO GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY. Open doors and windows, turn off combustion appliances and leave the house.
  • DO GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM and tell the physician you suspect CO poisoning. If CO poisoning has occurred, it can often be diagnosed by a blood test done soon after exposure.

Be prepared to answer the following questions for the doctor:

  • Do your symptoms occur only in the house? Do they disappear or decrease when you leave home and reappear when you return?
  • Is anyone else in your household complaining of similar symptoms? Did everyone’s symptoms appear about the same time?
  • Are you using any fuel-burning appliances in the home?
  • Has anyone inspected your appliances lately? Are you certain they are working properly?

If you want a free consultation, please call toll-free at 1-888-377-8900 or submit the firm’s online consultation form. Thank you.